Friday, 6 June 2008

Wine + Chinese Buffet = TTS (Traumatic Training Session)

The scientists tracking this blog as an experiment into curing Lazyitus may be interested in the startling* discovery I made last night..

..drinking copious amounts of wine and champagne and stuffing yourself silly with all you can eat Chinese will not make your training any easier.

Yes, it was my birthday on Wednesday and I went out with Tom and my family to Pilgrim House; a wonderful all you can eat Chinese restaurant. I had a really good night - needless to say we all drank and ate rather a lot! (apart from poor little sister Anna who was the designated driver for the night!).

I woke up yesterday morning with a bit of a fuggy head, but nothing too major so I thought I'd escaped a hangover. So when I went to the gym straight from work (this time I remembered my socks and hair bobble) I got straight on the treadmill, ready to do my 5 minutes running, 3 minutes walking x 3. I assumed that since I had a good time doing it on Tuesday, that it would be just as easy again, if not easier.

But oh no. I was straight back to wanting to curl up and die after 3 minutes. It was such hard work that when it came to the last set of 5 min running, I only managed 3.5 mins and had to stop and walk the rest. It was horrendous!! In the whole 4 weeks I've now been training, I've never been able to not complete it properly.

It's not like I've never drank and gone to the gym before, but I think that because I now have such a strict training plan, where it's progressively getting harder and harder, that's why I really felt the result of the drink and stodgy food. Normally I would have just subconsciously taken it easy, so I wouldn't have ever felt the effects. I now know why athletes are on such strict diets.

You'll see to the right there's now a list of lessons I've learnt so far. No doubt this will increase as I make more silly mistakes!

Oh, and the blister looks even worse now. It's a nasty shade of red and yellow now. Which I'm assuming means one of two things. Either its healing nicely, or it's infected and I'm about to drop dead. I'm sure we'll find out which one it is soon enough.

So that's it for now. I have my timed two mile run on the weekend (FYI: I'll be doing it on Saturday morning - before I go out to celebrate my birthday celebrations in the evening, giving me all Sunday and Monday to recover!!!).

* Startling to me anyway, although I have a feeling this may already be quite a well known bit of trivia!


No comments: