Wednesday, 4 June 2008

I've found my stride, but it came at a price.


I've now started Week 4 of my training. This week I am: running 5 mins, walking 3 min x 3 = total 24 mins.


Last week I was running for 3 mins, walking for 3 mins x 5, and I found it very, very hard. So I was dreading this weeks sessions as the length of running has increased by quite a bit.

So I got to the gym straight from work, and had forgotten to bring a hair band (running with long hair, is like running with a carrier bag on your head. It's really not nice!), AND I'd forgotten my socks. But I battled on. And actually, I was able to do all the running quite easily(ish). I didn't even walk for the last 3 mins, but carried on running so actually finished off with a 8 min run.


I covered 2.1 miles in 24 minutes, which I'm quite happy with. I was averaging 5 mph. I'd like to do the whole half marathon at 6mph, which would give me a time of 1 hour 40 minutes (FYI - Paula Radcliffe averages about 11mph! I don't think I can run that fast full stop, let alone for over 2 hours straight!).


Now going back to my forgotten socks. At first, running without them was fine, but after I hit 20 minutes, my right foot started to rub, just on the arch. And it got worse and worse. I should have probably stopped, but I was so chuffed with being able to run without wanting to curl up and die, that I didn't want to stop. And this is how I got my first blister. It's really very sore now. I came home all wimpy and limpy, but didn't get ANY sympathy! Huh! How rude.


So my new blister is the picture attached here. I'm sorry if I've made any of you feel sick. Finger's crossed it'll be better by my next training session on Thursday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is getting interesting, but I did get a little concerned when you said you skipped the final walk stage because you felt good and decided to run it instead. This is the over-confidence problem I suffered from. A bit like saying, "Yes, of course, I can handle another drink". We all know where that leads. If you've been some advice by an expert on how to train then it seems dumb not to follow it.
Good luck.