Wednesday, 13 August 2008

Aerodynamic Cankles Pushing Me On!!!

Louise and I went running yesterday and we did GOOD!!

We ran one lap, then the mini lap round the Cowheards pub, then a second lap (but missing out the pond bit) and managed to run all the second lap and back to the beginning. A massive 4.52 miles!!! And we did it all in 42 minutes, which is an extremely good time!!!
The middle bit was hard, getting up the top of the hilly bit, but the last section was mostly downhill, which helped us get through it to the end. It was WAY more than we both thought we could do, so we were extremely proud of ourselves!!

However, recently when I've been running quite far, my left hip joint has been hurting quite badly. Not the muscles - but the actual joint. And this morning it's really painful and weak - I can't really lift my leg up. And as well as that, my left knee is now quite stiff and sore. So I'm a bit worried about that actually. I'm going to go any buy myself some proper running trainers, as at the moment all I have are normal gym type ones. But I don't know what else to do about it really. It's not the muscles that are hurting - we always make sure we do proper stretches before and after. It's the actual joints. But I don't want to rest them and not run, because I only have 11 weeks to get up to 10 miles!! (I'm trying quite hard to not panic!!!). I might ask someone at the gym for some advice maybe. Does anyone reading this have any ideas? Please leave me a comment if you have.

Other than the general aches and pains (and blisters) things are good.

And in reference to the title of my new fabulous aerodynamic cankles (I don't have ankles, my calf's and ankles have merges to form a chunky, unattractive pair of cankles!)... so anyway, I went out and treated myself to some 'Ladies Elite Running Nike Socks', and one of the features of these fabulous socks is that they make your (c)ankles all aerodynamic. Which was obviously the main factor in Louise and I being able to run for so far yesterday!! They're my new lucky socks!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is your bro's friend Jez again. I'd recommend that if you're running any distances over 2 miles that you'll need a good pair of running shoes. There's a great shop in the chandlers ford precinct dedicated to running. For free, they'll give you a treadmill session and film your running gait to determine the best shoes for your running style. This is their website: http://www.upandrunning.co.uk/shops/southampton.php