Friday, 4 July 2008

Retraction...

In my last entry I was very proud that I'd run 3 miles straight in 30 minutes.

Well I went to the gym last night and attempted to do the same as I did on Monday. So I did my 5 min walking warm up, then stopped the machine and restarted at 6mph ready to run for 30 minutes. But then I looked down and realised that it hadn't reset the time, so it already had 5 mins on the clock, which means when I ran for 30 minutes on Monday, I actually only ran for 25. If I had looked at the distance (which I didn't because I knew that 30 minutes at 6mph was dead of 3 miles), I would have seen that it would have been just over 2.5miles, and not 3!!

Oh disaster! When I realised this I was gutted! There was no way I could add another 5 minutes onto what I did on Monday (to take me up to 3 miles), I wasn't even sure that I'd be able to do the 25 minutes again!

So I started running, after 12 minutes I was having troubles, but I carried on to 19 minutes, wich was when I had to stop and walk for about 40 seconds, just to catch my breath back. Then I ran to 25 minutes. I was going to stop because technically I had pretty much done again what I did on Monday, but then I figured that I was only 0.5 miles away from getting up to 3 miles. So I started running again (but at about 7.7mph to make up for the walking that I had just done). Then after a minute or two of fast jogging, I brought it down to about 6.5mph and ran until I'd hit my 3 mile target.


So my final result was: 3 miles in 31 minutes exactly.

Admittidly it wasn't running non stop, but the short bursts of walking I did helped me to complete the 3 miles. I must have been running at an average of about 5.8mph which is pretty close to the 6mph I'm aiming for.

So I'm going to do another 3 miles on Saturday, then next week move it up to 3.5 miles. Each week I'll do 3 training sessions, then bump it up by another half mile for the next week. If I do that I'll be running 10 miles each time by the beginning of Oct. The race is at the end of Oct so it's quite good timing.

I'd also like to thank everyone who sponsored me. If you haven't sponsored me yet - why not!!!
Sponsorship needs to be in before the 12th July (even for the race in Oct) because I'm not being sponsored seperately for the half marathon. Everything is going to Breast Cancer Research.
Sponsor me here.

Thank you!

No comments: